Celebrating Halloween by hosting a party? Decorating is time-consuming, so you don’t want your food and drinks to be as well. These Pumpkin Rum Chata Jello Shots can be made 2 days in advance, and your guests will just eat them up! There is magic in the night when pumpkins glow by moonlight.
I never met a pumpkin I didn’t like so how could I go wrong with Pumpkin Rum Chata Jello Shots?
Do you want to know the secrets to mixing the best cocktails EVER? Get my free printable guide, ‘Mix, Mingle & Marvel: 5 Essential Secrets to Crafting Cocktails That Wow!’ just for joining my mailing list.
Ingredients you’ll need to put a spell on these spooky Pumpkin Rum Chata Jello Shots
- Pumpkin Vodka
- Rum Chata
- Simple Syrup
- Gel Food Color in Orange
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Syrup, Optional
For flavored vodkas, I like both Veil and Pinnacle; they are both reasonably priced.
These incredible colored Jello Shots don’t use any Jello but are made with gelatin and the Rum Chata gives them a solid color. You can make them with either simple syrup or sweetened condensed milk for a richer consistency. Note: use simple syrup or sweetened condensed milk, not both. Measurements are the same regardless.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost). As an Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Bar & Kitchen Tools you’ll need to make Pumpkin Rum Chata Jello Shots
To make your Jello Shots, you’ll need Jello Shot cups. Click here to learn the differences between the 3 different styles of Jello Shot cups. I use the squeezable Jello Shot cups (last picture in post), the flat round Jello Shot cups above, and the square Jello Shot cups.
The second most important item is a large mouth mixing bowl with a spout. The largemouth mixing bowl with a spout makes it easy to pour the liquid into the Jello Shot cups. I have seen ‘tools’ on Amazon that assist you with filling your Jello Shot cups, but the bowl with the spout works well. Of course, you may have a few drips here and there, but not enough for me to invest in a gadget.
Mix, Mingle & Marvel: 5 Essential Secrets to Crafting Cocktails That Wow! This free printable guide is my gift to you; all you have to do is subscribe to my mailing list.
I promise to keep your email safe.
How to make Pumpkin Rum Chata Jell Shots
Place 18 Jello Shot cups on a baking sheet. Pour the Vodka and Rum Chata into the spouted mixing bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on the top. Gelatin can be tricky to work with the first time you use it in a recipe. The secret is to ‘slowly’ sprinkle the gelatin on top of the liquid. If you see it clumping up, you are spreading it too quickly.
Let the gelatin mixture sit for 5 minutes. This seems like the longest process in this recipe. If you do have some dry patches, don’t worry. These Jello Shots will taste so good nobody will care that some gelatin didn’t dissolve.
In the meantime, boil the water. Add your Orange Gel Food Coloring to the boiling water and stir until combined. Then pour the water and food coloring mixture into the gelatin mixture and stir for 3 minutes. Add the sweetened condensed milk or simple syrup (not both) and stir until combined well.
Slowly pour the mixture into your Jello Shot cups. Refrigerate for 2 hours before placing the lids on the cups.
If you want your Jello Shots a darker shade of orange, add 1/4 teaspoon of Orange Gel Food Color to 1 tablespoon of hot water and stir until combined. Then, add the food color/water mixture to your Jello Shot mixture and mix well.
The Jello Shots can be made 2 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Happy Haunting! I hope your Halloween Party is frightfully fun and fantastic!
Not a fan of Rum Chata, or don’t like a solid-colored Jello Shot? Don’t worry; you can have that Pumpkin flavor in a traditional-looking Jello Shot. Adjust the recipe by removing the Rum Chata and increasing the Pumpkin Vodka to 1 1/2 cups. Everything else remains the same.
Other Halloween recipes you may like:
Remember to subscribe to my mailing list below and get Mix, Mingle & Marvel: 5 Essential Secrets to Crafting Cocktails That Wow!
Pumpkin Pie Jello-Shots
- 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Vodka I like to use Veil Vodka for my Jello-Shots because it has a nice flavor
- 3/4 Cup Rum Chata
- 2 Envelopes gelatin
- 1 1/4 Cup Boiling water
- 1/2 Cup Simple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Gel Food Coloring
- 1/2 Ounce Monin Pumpkin Pie Syrup Optional
- Place 18 – 2 oz Jello-Shot cups on a cookie sheet
- Pour the Pumpkin Vodka and Rum Chata into a large spouted mixing bowl
- Add the Monin Pumpkin Pie Syrup to the spouted mixing bowl only if you like Pumpkin Spice flavor. This step is optional because some like just pumpkin flavor but not pumpkin spice.
- Slowly sprinkle gelatin on top of the Vodka and Rumchata mixture making sure to sprinkle it evenly across the top of the liquid
- Let the gelatin absorb the liquid for 5 minutes
- In the meantime boil the water
- Add the orange gel food color to the boiling water and stir well
- Add the water mixed with the food color to the Gelatin mix and stir until the Gelatin is dissolved, at least 3 minutes
- Now add the simple syrup and stir well
- Carefully pour the Jello-Shot mixture into the prepared Jello-Shot cups
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before placing the caps on the Jello-Shot cups
- Serve Chilled. Can be made 2 days in advance and kept refrigerated
If you’ve tried this, please leave a comment and rating below.