Marinated Shrimp Appetizer
This marinated shrimp appetizer recipe is fantastic! It’s easy to make and you can prepare it a day ahead of your family get together, giving you time to do other things. It also looks fabulous and tastes great, so if you want to impress your guests, this is how you do it!
Ingredients that you’ll need to make this appetizer
This recipe calls for 2 pounds of medium cooked, shelled and deveined shrimp, which is about 60 pieces. Then you’ll need a lemon, onion, black olives, pimientos, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, dry mustard and a bay leave.
How to make the Marinated Shrimp Appetizer
First take the frozen cooked, shelled and deveined shrimp and place them in a colander. Put the colander under cold running water until the shrimp thaw. This takes about 10 minutes.
In the meantime, put the lemon, onion, black olives, pimientos, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, dry mustard and a bay leave into a large bowl. I used the OXO 5 quart mixing bowl with the rubber bottom and grip.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As a Shop Style Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
When the shrimp are thawed, add them to the mixture in the bowl and stir. Place the shrimp mixture in the refrigerator and marinate for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
When ready to eat place the shrimp in a serving bowl. This appetizer reminds me of a shrimp ceviche. It is cool, refreshing, and absolutely an amazing appetizer.
- 2 Pounds Frozen Medium Cooked Shrimp, shelled and deveined I use frozen COOKED shrimp and put them in a colander under cold running water to thaw
- 1 Lemon, sliced thin
- 1 Onion, sliced thin
- 2.25 Ounces Can of black pitted olives sliced and drained
- 2 Ounces Jar of Pimientos diced and drained I was only able to find a 4 oz jar so I used half the jar
- 1 Cup Lemon juice You can use fresh lemon juice or the ReaLemon
- 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dry mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf, halfed
- Place the frozen shrimp in a colander in the sink and run cold water over them while they thaw
- In the meantime, add the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix well
- Once the shrimp have thawed add them to the bowl of ingredients and mix
- Marinate the shrimp mixture, covered and chilled, stirring occasionally for 24 hours
- Discard the bay leaf
- Place the contents in a large serving bowl and serve