Need the perfect meal to serve at your St Patrick’s Day party? This Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe is easy to prepare. It simmers for 4 – 5 hours, giving you time to decorate and prepare for the party!
Any leftover corned beef can be used for sandwiches or another meal. Happy St Patrick’s Day!
Mix, Mingle & Marvel: 5 Essential Secrets to Crafting Cocktails That Wow! This free guide is my gift to you for subscribing to my mailing list.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost). As an Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage
Here’s your list: Corned Beef, Guinness, baby carrots, baby potatoes, brown sugar, bay leaf, and a head of cabbage. You can serve this meal with spicy mustard or horseradish, but it is optional.
How to Make Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage
Put the corned beef in a pot, add the Guinness, and add water until the corned beef is covered with 1 inch of water. Add the bay leaves and brown sugar and simmer for 4 – 5 hours.
Prepare the vegetables while the corned beef is simmering. Wash the carrots and potatoes and pull off the outer leaves of the cabbage. Then cut the cabbage into quarters and the potatoes in half.
Add the vegetables when the corned beef reaches 160 degrees (approximately 4 – 5 hours).
Cover and simmer for another 45 minutes. This easy meal of Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage serves 4 – 6.
You can serve classic Corned Beef and Cabbage directly to plates or bring the meal to the table on a platter. My 13 x 9-inch platter (shown above) only holds half the recipe.
You can use the cute shamrock placemats found here to decorate your table, but they are going fast!
Remember to subscribe to my mailing list below and get Mix, Mingle & Marvel: 5 Essential Secrets to Crafting Cocktails That Wow!
Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 4 – 5 Pound Corned Beef
- 14.9 Ounces Guinness 1 Can
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 15 Small Potatoes, washed well I use a bag of baby potatoes
- 1 Pound Baby Carrots Bag
- 1 Head Cabbage, outside leaves removed, rinsed and cut into wedges
- Spicy mustard or horseradish Optional
- In a 6-quart pot place the corned beef fat side up
- Add the Guinness and the corned beef seasoning packet (if it came with it) and add water until it covers the meat by 1 inch
- Sprinkle on the brown sugar and add the bay leaves
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 4 to 5 hours or until the meat is tender and has an internal temperature of 160 F
- Add the vegetables to the pot and cook for another 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender
- Serve hot with spicy mustard or horseradish
If you’ve tried this, please leave a comment and rating below.